Please “CLICK HERE“ to see a good list of Airlines, Car Rentals, Trains, Boats, Hotels, Apartments, Trip Insurance, Restaurant Reviews, Museums, Event, Tickets and Tours and Online Travel Guides for all of Austria.
- The DO&CO Hotel is right across the street from St Stephens Cathedral and it’s one of the best hotel we’ve stayed at. Great Rooms, Great Location and reasonable price
- Vienna Info Guide
- Just Vienna – a very good blog on places to visit and things to know about Vienna
- Context Walking Tour of Vienna – Walking tours with art and architecture historians
- On your own Walking Tour of Vienna – make sure you catch the Jugendstil clock in the Hoher Market , the Naschmarkt and the Secession Building (near the Naschmarkt)
- Visit the Otto Wagner Buildings – He was the best of all the Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) Architects
- Kunsthistorisches Museum – One of the best in Europe
- St Stephen’s Cathedral
- The Hofburg – The Imperial Palace
- Catch some Motzart at the Vienna State Opera
- Museum Quarter
- Castle Belvedere
FOOD AND RESTAURANTS
Wiener Schnitzel (veal pounded thin, coated with breadcrumbs and egg batter and pan fried), Tafelspitz (boiled beef ) served with Apfelkren (horse radish with cream and apples), Apfelstrudel (Apple strudel is the best but it does also come in other versions), Sachertorte (rich chocolate cake from the Hotel Sacher), Frankfurter (the original American Hot Dog), Bratwurst (white sausage), and Bosna (with onions and curry), and Rostwurst (personal favorite). You can get sausages (in or out of the bun) all over the city from sausage wagons called Würstlstand. They’re inexpensive and a great lunch or dinner. And no, they do not have Vienna Sausages. This is an American creation.
Grüner Veltliner is the most popular white wine in Vienna. Most Austrian red wines like the Blaufrankisch, Saint Laurent, and Zweigelt are light and fruity, similar to a French Gamay but these days Austrian wines include Pinot Noir and Cabernet and Merlot blends. re are reds but they tend to be fruity and light. Stiegl beer is the most common Austrian beer we’ve seen but most people prefer German beer.
Vienna is also one of the best coffee cultures in the world. The first coffee house here is from the late 1600’s.
- Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer – excellent restaurant and great wine list
- Zum Schwarzen Kameel – excellent restaurant and the best wiener schnitzel in the city. They also have a good sandwich shop next door.