SPAIN TRAVEL RESOURCES
Spanish History Timeline – History, Culture and Maps
- Which Budget.com – Good good search engine for great prices
- Yapta – tracks the costs before you fly and they send you an email when the price is lower. If the cost drops after you buy the ticket, they issue you a refund
- BravoFly is good search engine for great prices; mostly on inter-European travel
- Easy Jet is a low cost airline in Europe; comfortable and very inexpensive if you buy in advance
- Cheapo Air offers the same flight on the major carriers but for less money
- Star Alliance offers a really good and relatively inexpensive around the world fare. It’s a secret they don’ like to advertise.
- AVOID RYAN AIR – The price seems low at first but after you pay all the additional costs (including costs to check in) the price is more expensive than other airlines. Bad service, bad customer support. The worst airline we have ever experienced.
- AirOne – has taken over all Alitalia flights. This is a very good low cost airline
- Iberia Air – good flights to and from Spain
- Vueling – good low cost airline to and from Spain
- Aegean Air – good flights in Greece; also a Star Alliance partner
- Germanwings – Very affordable airline to all European countries
- Seat Guru – type in your airline and flight number and they will tell you the flight configuration. Great site for choosing your seats
- Squaremouth – over 100 companies to choose from.
- Travel Insured – We’ve had good experience with this one
- WorldNomads.com Travel Insurance – a great organization and very reasonable rates
- Tiger Car Rental offers very good car rental rates in Europe using major carriers like get a new car Budget and Avis. Pay in advance.
- AutoEurope – They are easy to work with and they offer a best price guarantee. If you book early you’ll get a better price.
- Argus Car hire – auto rentals will give good prices on car rental in most places around the world.
- Renault eurodrive – Lease from them if you plan to a car for more than 17days. You inclusive of all insurance, etc.
- Peugeot lease option – This is the same concept as Renault. Both lease options are offered in France although yoou can pick up and drop off in other countries for an additional fee. See their websites for all costs.
- HRS – Hotel Reservation Service is a great site for discounts on all classes of hotels and resorts
- Paradors -Restored and Renovated Historical Castles, Palaces, Fortresses, Convents, Monasteries and traditional homes run and operated by the State.
- Hospes Hotels – Restored and Renovated Historical buildings
- Chic Retreats – Really Nice selection of upscale Boutique Hotels
- Inns of Spain – Small Boutique Hotels
- Little Hotels of Spain
- Derby Hotels – Barcelona and Madrid
- Tablet Hotels – a nice boutique collection
- Luxique – good boutique collection
- Epoque Hotels – good collection and good prices
- Small Luxury Hotels – sometimes good, sometimes not so good
- Great Small Hotels – a good selection of small luxury hotels throughout the world
- JP Moser – Deluxe hotel group
- JDB – Fine hotels and resorts
- WorldBy.com – Mostly European hotels in Italy, France, England, Ireland, Spain, Amsterdam and more
- iCastelli – Historic Luxury Hotels
- VRBO is the motherlode of apartment rentals all over the world
- Home Away is another good site (the parent company to VRBO)
- Friendly Rentals is based in Barcelona but they have agents and great apartments in many Italian cities. Very Friendy people and easy rentals
- Way to Stay – Apartments in many European cities
- Airbnb – apartment rentals around the world. You can rent a room or the entire apartment or house
- House Trip – Apartment or rooms in many European cities
- Renfe – Spanish Rail System. There is a fast train from Barcelona to Madrid in 2:30 minutes
- Rail Europe
- The Rail Dude – This is a small German company that does a great job in train travel throughout Europe
- The Man in seat 61 – Mark Smith has traveled around the world by train and boat and keeps a really good and informative blog. If you’re into train travel, you’ve got to look at this site.
FERRY BOATS – Morocco and the Balearic Islands
MUSEUMS, TICKETS, EVENTS AND GUIDED TOURS:
- Context Travel – Guided tours by historians, archaeologists, theologians, art historians and scholars. Madrid and Barcelona only.
- Time Out – the online version of the “what’s happening” in town guide
- What’s On When – the Frommer’s guide to events in the city
FOOD, RESTAURANTS AND RESTAURANT REVIEWS:
- Zagat.com Yes, Zagat has an international restaurant guide
- Gayot.com – international restaurants
- Michelin Starred Restaurants
- Chowhound – Advice from foodies all over the world
- The Wine Enthusiast – Wine buying guide
Phones and Internet Cards
- Cellhire International – phones, phone cards, sim rentals and mobile hotspot rentals
- TEP Wireless rental – rates for one country or multiple countries for very good rates
- Cellular Abroad – good rates for MiFi rentals for good rates per country. It’s been a bit difficult to have them configure the mobile hotspot for multiple countries
- XCOM Global – mobile hotspots for around $15/day
ONLINE MAGAZINES, TRAVEL SITES AND TRAVEL ADVICE: