Please “CLICK HERE“ to see a good list of Airlines, Car Rentals, Trains, Boats, Hotels, Apartments, Trip Insurance, Restaurant Reviews, Museums, Event, Tickets and Tours and Online Travel Guides for all of Italy.
LOMBARDY: MILAN, BERGAMO AND THE LAKES
- VRBO.com and HomeAway.com are always great for apartment searches
- Discover Holiday Homes – Italian Lakes
- AirBnb – rent a room or an entire apartment from the owner
- Lake Como and Lake Maggiore Apartment Rentals
- Argegno Apartment – Great view, lots of room, a 2 minute walk to a great restaurant and three minutes from the Lake Como ferry dock
- L’Alberetta – ERBUSCO, LAGO d’ISEO – A really great hotel overlooking the vineyards. The rooms are comfortable ands the restaurant is the Flagship of Gaultiero Marchesi
- Palazzo Arzaga Hotel – LAKE GARDA – Near Desenzano del Garda. A big resort with a golf course and spa
- Gombit Hotel – BERGAMO ALTA (old Town) – a beautiful small hotel built inside an old military fortress tower in the old city of upper Bergamo
- Town House 33 – MILAN – We stayed in Town House 33 but this group has a few other recently renovated Palazzi throughout the city. They are contemporary and modern in design. The rooms are comfortable and the staff is incredible.
- Hotel Straf – MILAN – modern and all about design.
- Hotel Spadari al Duomo – MILAN – contemporary design overlooking the Duomo Piazza. A great location. The rooms are very comfortable but a little small.
- AC Boat Rental – Self Drive Boat rentals on Lake Como. To be honest though, you can get around so easily on the Lake Ferry boats.
FOOD AND RESTAURANTS:
Lombardy dishes to try: bresaola, agnoli (stuffed pasta), ossobuco, and the cuccina milanese, cotoletta alla milanese (veal fried in egg, bread crumbs and cheese), risotto alla milanese (with saffron) and minestrone alla milanese. If you’re there in the Autumn, you might be lucky enough to have some ovoli mushrooms (red cap porcini) and in the Spring white truffle season begins. For dessert try the Amaretti almond cookies.
- Gaultiero Marchesi – ERBUSCO – at the L’Albereta Hotel (see above)
- PECK – MILAN – One of the most amazing food emporiums in Italy
- Enoteca Osteria Zanini – BERGAMO (in the lower city) – Our friend Nicola Zanini’s restaurant on Via Borgo Santa Caterina,. Daniela, his wife, does the cooking, but Nicola also has a small wine shop. He is one of the highest rated sommaliers in all of Italy and sells bottle ranging from €8 to over €100
- La Piazetta – ARGEGNO on LAKE COMO – This restaurant is a 2 minute walk from the apartment we rented in Argegno (see above). I think we tried everything on the menu.
MUSEUMS AND DESTINATIONS:
- Il Vittoriale – Gardone on Lake Garda – This is the home of poet, pilot, international bon vivant Gabriele d’Annunzio. The villa is a monument to his most bizarre life.
- Brera Museum – MILAN – One of the best art collections in Italy was started by Napoleon.
- Castello Sforzesco – MILAN – The power seat of Milan for centuries
- Da Vinci’s Last Supper and Santa Maria delle Grazie Church – MILAN
- ITALY LAKES – LAKES COMO, GARDA, MAGGIORE, d’ISEO and ORTA– What to do in and around the Lakes