Please “CLICK HERE“ to see a good list of Airlines, Car Rentals, Trains, Boats, Hotels, Apartments, Trip Insurance, Restaurant Reviews, Museums, Event, Tickets and Tours and Online Travel Guides for all of Spain.
Cantabria: Santander, Altamira and the prehistoric caves
- Parador Hotel Santillana Gil Blas – in the old town of Santillana del Mar very close to the Altamira Caves
- San Román de Escalante – a former Country Villa now a very nice hotel near Santander
- Santillana del mar and the Altamira Cave – The town is very picturesque and the cave museum is less than 10 minutes away
- Tito Bustillo Cave – galleries of prehistoric horses and bison. Technically the cave is located in Asturias but I included it in Cantabria.
- Prehistoric Caves of Cantabria – there are a few and they are all worth the visit
- Comillas – For some reason this was a favorite town of the Modernista Architects in the late 19th and early 20th century. There is a great Arab influenced villa by Antonin Gaudi known as “Capricho de Gaudí”
- Santander – A walk down the beautiful Paseo de Pereda and a lunch along the harbor
FOOD AND RESTAURANTS
Cocido montañés (white bean stew with cabbage and pork), Cocido lebaniego (chickpea stew with cabbage and pork), Marmita (a fish stew of potatoes and tuna fish), lots of fresh fish, Sobaos (cheesecake), Rabas frita (fried calamare squid), Tudanca beef covered with Tresviso blue cheese, pork ribs, and you can always find a good Flan al caramelo (caramel custard), Leche frita (deep fried custard) and Arroz con leche (rice pudding).