- Which Budget.com – Good good search engine for great prices
- Yapta – tracks the costs before you fly and they send you an email when the price is lower. If the cost drops after you buy the ticket, they issue you a refund
- TAP Portugal – Portuguese airline
- BravoFly is good search engine for great prices; mostly on inter-European travel
- Easy Jet is a low cost airline in Europe; comfortable and very inexpensive if you buy in advance
- Cheapo Air offers the same flight on the major carriers but for less money
- Star Alliance offers a really good and relatively inexpensive around the world fare. It’s a secret they don’ like to advertise.
- AVOID RYAN AIR – The price seems low at first but after you pay all the additional costs (including costs to check in) the price is more expensive than other airlines. Bad service, bad customer support. The worst airline we have ever experienced.
- AirOne – has taken over all Alitalia flights. This is a very good low cost airline
- Iberia Air – good flights to and from Spain
- Vueling – good low cost airline to and from Spain
- Aegean Air – good flights in Greece; also a Star Alliance partner
- Germanwings – Very affordable airline to all European countries
- Seat Guru – type in your airline and flight number and they will tell you the flight configuration. Great site for choosing your seats
- Tiger Car Rental offers very good car rental rates in Europe using major carriers like get a new car Budget and Avis. Pay in advance.
- AutoEurope – They are easy to work with and they offer a best price guarantee. If you book early you’ll get a better price.
- Argus Car hire – auto rentals will give ou good prices on car rental in most places around the world.
- Renault eurodrive – Lease from them if you plan to a car for more than 17days. You inclusive of all insurance, etc.
- Peugeot lease option – This is the same concept as Renault. Both lease options are offered in France although you can pick up and drop off in other countries for an additional fee. See their websites for all costs.
- Portugal Railroad
- Rail Europe – offers rates and reservations throughout Europe
- The Rail Dude – This is a small German company that does a great job in train travel throughout Europe
- The Man in seat 61 – Mark Smith has traveled around the world by train and boat and keeps a really good and informative blog. If you’re into train travel, you’ve got to look at this site.
- VRBO is the motherlode of apartment rentals all over the world
- Home Away is another good site (the parent company to VRBO)
- Discover Holiday Homes – Italian Lakes, France, Greece, Cyprus, UK, USA and a few others
- AirBnb – rooms and apartments worldwide
- House Trip – Apartment or rooms in many European cities
- HRS – Hotel Reservation Service is a great site for discounts on all classes of hotels and resorts
- Pousadas of Portugal $-$$$ – State owned renovated and restored historic castles, convents and homes
- Inns of Portugal $-$$$ – Small Hotels and Inns
- Four Seasons Hotel -$$$-$$$$. This is the standard of a fine Hotel chain
- Tablet Hotels – $$$ A very good collection of interesting hotels in many destinations
- Luxique.com – $$-$$$$ has a good selection of small beautiful hotels all over the world
- Chic Retreats – really great selection of small upscale boutique hotels
- Relais & Chateaux – $$-$$$$ Usually good for hotels and restaurants but they occasionally miss the mark
- Design Hotels – $$$-$$$$ Progressive and state of the art design hotels throughout the world
- Great Small Hotels – $$-$$$ Boutique hotels around the world
- Eurobookings – $-$$$ This Dutch run hotel booking agency offers very good prices at good hotels
- Small Luxury Hotels – $$-$$$ Usually they have good choices but we’ve had some clunkers here as well
- WorldBy.com – $-$$$ Mostly European hotels in Italy, France, England, Ireland, Spain, Amsterdam and more
- Epoque Hotels – $$-$$$ Good small luxury hotel group
- JDB – $$$ Fine hotels and resorts
- JP Moser – $$$ Deluxe hotel group
- Squaremouth.com has over 100 companies to choose from
- Travel Insured. We like this one. They’ve been very easy to work with
- WorldNomads.com Travel Insurance – a great organization and very reasonable rates
- State Department International Travel – US State Department information
- What’s on When. Festivals and celebrations are listed close to year out
- A View on Cities. An overview of city cultural events
- Time Out. The online version of Time Out magazine
Restaurants and Food
- Zagat.com Yes, Zagat has an international restaurant guide
- The Wine Enthusiast – Wine buying guide
- Gayot.com – international restaurants
- Michelin Starred Restaurants
- Chowhound – Advice from foodies all over the world
Mobile Hot Spot Internet Rentals
- Cellhire International – phones, phone cards, sim rentals and mobile hotspot rentals
- TEP Wireless rental – rates for one country or multiple countries for very good rates
- Cellular Abroad – good rates for MiFi rentals for good rates per country. It’s been a bit difficult to have them configure the mobile hotspot for multiple countries
- XCOM Global – mobile hotspots for around $15/day